Environmental Law in Mexico
Another of Easy Legal Mexico’s core competencies includes environmental law in Mexico. This can be a crucial part of acquiring and developing real estate property in Mexico, and is in addition to regular real estate law.
One of the most common aspects of environmental law in Mexico is the Environmental Impact Study. An environmental impact study is an assessment of lots or properties located on or near the coast, or property surrounded by vegetation and wildlife. A certified biologist will indicate, among other things, what you can or cannot build on your property (or the property you are planning to buy) based on the location, vegetation and wildlife found on the lot, etc.
There are 2 types of environmental studies:
- The first type of environmental study is a study you do prior to purchasing a lot. Is done as part of the due diligence process, and its basic purpose is to avoid any surprises. The study will tell you what you can and can’t build, what percentage of the lot (if any) is OK develop and how to proceed within the relevant Mexican environmental law.
- The second type of environmental study is a more extensive one. Is done prior to construction and is part of the process of obtaining a building permit from the environmental authority. The result of this study will be the same as the one obtained in the first study, but with a more careful and extensive explanation of each of the components. The result is a study with many more pages than the first one and its price is considerably higher as it requires more detail in order to comply with the environmental law in Mexico.
The first type of environmental study is optional (but we recommend it highly). The second type of environmental study is mandatory under Mexican environmental law; otherwise you won’t obtain an environmental building permit.
Who issues environmental permits?
Both municipalities and the Federal Environmental Authority (SEMARNAT) issue environmental permits. You may need both.
Our team at Easy Legal México can help you complete an Environmental Impact Study in the proper way. Just contact us.
FEDERAL ZONE CONCESSION
In lots adjacent to the federal zone (beachfront) is important to verify, before the purchase of the lot, the status of the concession. It is crucial to verify that the rights of the federal zone are transferred together with the property. Otherwise, even though the property is acquired, the rights of the federal zone remain under the name and control of the previous owner.
Easy Legal México can help you to take care of any of these matters. Just contact us and we will take care of the rest.
OTHER ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES:
- Strategic management consulting for sustainable development projects
- Environmental law in Mexico
- Planning, evaluation and follow up of sustainable development projects
- Environmental Law in Mexico: Environmental policy, compliance and awareness
- Management of toxic waste
- Wildlife: Legal possession and provenance of wildlife specimens, products and by-products and management units (UMAS)
- Forest : Storage, processing, transport of forest raw materials
- Federal Maritime Zone
- Protected Natural Areas
- Changes in land use / zoning
- Environmental Impact assessment: compliance of terms and conditions
Legal advice in the following areas:
- Administrative Procedure
- Administrative Law
- Constitutional Law: Amparo Lawsuit
- Nullity Trial